Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Write On Wednesday: Epic Fail

NaNo word count: 10.
Literally. And then I deleted them. So technically...0.

How embarrassing. I think I'm giving up. Unless I pull some magic out of thin air and conjure up some inspiration worth 50k words.

As usual, I'm full of excuses. Pregnancy brain is number 1. I seriously cannot focus or make decisions on anything. If I can't decide what to eat for lunch, how am I supposed to decide what words to put onto the page? My second excuse is the remodel. I should take a picture of my "office" right now. It's literally in ruins. Wires running everywhere, boxes strewn about, paint cans waiting to be opened...it's a disaster. And I am not the type of person who can work in a messy atmosphere. This is why I became an Interior Designer; my environment affects me a LOT.

But I don't feel bad. I really have tried a couple times, and it's not working. That's fine. I'll move on and try again later. Maybe when the whole house is in order I'll be able to make up my own month of marathon writing. But either way, I know I have an idea and I know I'll eventually get it out. No big deal.

But as for this month: NaNo is a NoGo.

How about you guys? Any progress? Finding it easy or hard to come up with the words?

Happy Wednesday!

7 comments:

  1. When I'm stuck, I usually just start writing, something anything. You could say something as simple as 'MC got out of bed' or whatever. I find, eventually, even without you realizing, something will happen.

    I'm almost to 30k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey partner. Sorry I've been so lame lately! I haven't written or critiqued or outlined or anything in the last month. I'm starting to get back into it, though. I'm planning on taking a look at your other book tonight. Hubby's working so I have a lot of quiet time. :)

    I can't write in chaos either so I totally understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually had to blow up one of my characters. Like, mid-sentence. he was talking, I got sick of him and typed "Then the old man blew up." I can't tell you how happy it made me to get rid of the old windbag. I've let myself realize that this novel will probably never see the light of day and so I'm using it as exploration of the setting and the type of story I might want to tell someday. And I'm just over 17K so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up! Who cares if you don't get to 50K? If you give up you have zero. If you keep going, maybe you'll get 5K, or 300, or, hell, even three. That's still words you didn't have at the beginning of the month. And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! That's all really good advice! And you're right Dan, even if I end the month with one measly chapter, it'll be one more chapter than I had at the beginning of the month! Alright, I'm not giving up totally. You've convinced me. We'll see how this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just can't write under the NaNo restrictions. I did it once, and that was enough for me to learn what works for me as a writer. Don't even feel bad. Any writing is better than no writing. NaNo shouldn't give anyone guilt. If it does, I think they're doing it for the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's okay. Not everyone is cut out for the marathon that is nano. I'm with Michelle.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...