Friday, May 13, 2011

My Little DIY Project

And I mean VERY little. But still, I’m excited.

My little girl has a game she likes to play called “ruin Mommy’s decorations.”  Case in point; here’s what the wall above her changing table used to look like:

She will stand up on that changing table while I’m trying to snap a onesie or put her pants on and smack that picture in the middle while yelling “Baby!” I don’t think she realizes that quiet, cute little girl was her almost two years ago (I forget that sometimes too). Most of the time I was able to stop her before any real damage was done. But one day she was too fast for me. She swung at that middle frame and sent it flying.

I gasped. She put her hands on her cheeks and said “Uh-oh!”

Uh-oh is right. Here’s what happened:

DSCN2716

Doesn’t her face say it all? (I love that picture. Cracks me up every time.)

That middle frame within the bigger frame used to be centered. It broke off. Miraculously, no glass was broken. So for a few weeks the wall stayed that way with a big ol’ gap in between the two smaller frames. Now I know what you’re thinking: Why didn’t you just glue it back together? Easy fix!

My answer is this; I’ve been dying to do something different in her room and this was just the push I needed to look for another solution. Happily, two days ago on a spontaneous trip to Michael’s I found my answer. Wooden letters, combined with some canvas prints, silver acrylic paint and some scrapbook letters and Voila!

 

I’m pretty happy with it! And this is WAY more babyproof. The prints are just canvas, the letters are wood, and the plaque that says “bean” (somehow this ended up being her nickname) is wooden. And I am a little wiser now too, and moved the whole thing up several inches. So she couldn’t reach those frames at the top if she wanted to!

The greatest part is that the whole thing cost $10. Less than it would cost to replace the original frame. And it inspired me to FINALLY change out some of the other pictures in her frames so just for an added bonus, here’s a look at the other side of her room with her newly updated pictures…from her first birthday…almost a year ago. Oh well.

Have any of you had experiences with “accident-driven design”?

2 comments:

  1. Eisley and I have the same lamp! She has great taste! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog...you are a MUCH better DIYer than I am from what I can see here! Good luck on your new blog -- I'll be back often!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...