Monday, May 23, 2011

Another Little Project

Do you have that one spot in your house where there’s just a bunch of little things that you don’t know what to do with?

Mine was the top of my dresser. I don’t have a lot of knick-knacks but there are some small trinkets I have that are very sentimental to me and they have just been gathering dust on the top of my dresser next to my overcrowded jewelry box. Well I’ve noticed this whole trend with trays lately and thought it would work perfectly to contain these little items. Luckily I had a tray from way back in design school that I bought for a presentation.

DSCN2911

Nothing special, just a festive gold tray (I’m pretty sure I bought it around Christmas time).

I wanted to add some lining to it, to cut down on the glossiness and to add a little pattern. I quickly headed for my stacks and stacks of scrapbook paper and ribbons (another little-known fact, I’m kind of a scrapbook addict).  I found a pair of papers that I liked together and a ribbon trim. This is a big tray, so I needed several items to cover the bottom.

DSCN2913

I’m kind of a commitment-phobe when it comes to little projects like these. I wasn’t ready to mod-podge it and make it permanent. My easy fix: double-sided tape. I cleaned the tray really well so the tape would stay in place and  hold tight to the paper and ribbon.

DSCN2917

It worked like a charm!

DSCN2952

I love how it looks like a scrapbook layout I would do. And the paper ties in with the other accent colors in my bedroom. Time to add the knick-knacks!

DSCN2944

Okay you caught me, the candle and perfume are not sentimental, but everything else is.

The nesting dolls I got from a market in Poland. The details on these things are incredible. I once let my daughter look at them but she immediately wanted to put them in her mouth. Now that doll is off-limits.

The tiny Nativity is from Israel and was a gift from my favorite college professor as a thank you for supervising his Freshman classes while he was gone. 

The open box full of my leftover coins from my Europe trip. I’ve got change from Poland, Austria, Germany, Paris, and the Czech Republic (okay most of those countries use the Euro, but not all of them!).

The Eiffel Tower is pretty self-explanatory, but it really was purchased in Paris! Not just from some gift store in the mall, I promise!

The small brown box in the middle was a gift from my other favorite college professor the year I graduated.

And the small porcelain heart box was a gift from my best friend on my 8th birthday when she threw me a surprise party with all different colors of licorice. It’s holding down my two favorite rainy-day reads; Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. Yup, I’m one of those  girls.

Anyway, there you have it! A little tour of my special souvenirs! And stay tuned because tomorrow’s Interior Tuesday which will show you the rest of our Master Bedroom!

Have a happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...