Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Deja Vu

Now I remember why I quit querying my first MS. It sucks.

My first rejection for MS#2 was a hopeful one. It was not a form rejection, rather it said it wasn’t the right project “despite it’s polish and poise.” That got me through the next two or three rejections. It was something to hold on to.

But we’re on rejection 8 or 9 now. Which I KNOW is not a lot, but still, each one stings a little bit more. “Not the right fit,” over and over again.

Then I got a little slap in the face last week when, in my professional life, I had to write those emails to candidates I’d interviewed and wasn’t going to hire. “You’re not the right fit at this time. Sorry and good luck.” It didn’t hurt less, I’ll tell you that. I felt so bad writing it.

But I suddenly understood those on the other side a little more. Maybe my name is being cursed right now. That’s not a good feeling either. But at the end of the day you have to do what’s best for you professionally. And agents are no different.

I just hope ONE of them will feel like it might be the right fit. I feel so strongly about this one, and I really want to pursue the crap out of it. So I’ll put on my big girl pants, take a shot of who-the-crap-cares and keep sending it out. Right?

Right. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thats a really cool way of looking at it. Seriously some agents must HATE sending that letter because they know they're ruining someone's day. But if you've gone this far and the manuscript still means that much to you than absolutely don't give up. It's probably the universe or something telling you that there's an agent out there that's going to love it to death, you just haven't met them yet. :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...